Wimbledon Tennis Championships
The All England Lawn Tennis Club
|Aerial View Showing New Roof on Wimbledon Tennis Centre
The All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, which is responsible for staging
the world's leading tennis tournament (Wimbledon Tennis Championships), is a private club founded in 1868
originally as The All England Croquet Club, and its first ground was situated
off Worple Road, Wimbledon.
The first meeting of The Lawn Tennis Championships in 1877 enjoyed a garden
party atmosphere, and attracted a few hundred spectators. Situated since 1922 at
Church Road, The Wimbledon Tennis Championships is the only Grand Slam tennis event still held on
grass. As a highly professional tournament, it attracts an attendance of nearly
500,000 people and through press, radio and television a following of hundreds
of millions throughout the world.
The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club
London SW19 5AE
Telephone: +44 20 8946 1066